Who we are
UNDP’s Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD), supports the private sector and foundations to become transformative partners in development through research, advocacy for inclusive business, facilitation of public-private dialogue and multi stakeholder-partnerships. IICPSD was established in 2011 in partnership with the Government of Turkey. The Center’s work to engage foundations and the private sector focuses on delivering policy advisory and technical services in four thematic areas: Inclusive Business; Private Sector Engagement in Skills Development; Impact Investing; and Resilience and Crisis Response.
UNDP’s Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) supports the private sector and foundations to incorporate the SDGs into their decision making and operational practices, so businesses are better partners in accomplishing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 17 Sustainable Development Goals demonstrate the scale and scope of the 2030 Agenda, which is a framework of action for people, planet and prosperity. They set the agenda for all nations to tackle developmental challenges while delivering social and environmental value. To achieve the 2030 Agenda, strong collaboration from diverse stakeholders is needed. Private sector is a key stakeholder with an invaluable potential for providing support for the SDGs as it accounts for 60 percent of GDP, 80 percent of capital flows, and 90 percent of jobs in developing countries. To enhance the role of private sector and to align its strategies and operations with the SDGs, IICPSD engages in research, advocacy for inclusive business, facilitation of public-private dialogue and multi stakeholder-partnerships.
The Center hosts four global initiatives:
- Business Call to Action
- SDG Philanthropy Platform
- Global Islamic Finance and Impact Investing Platform
- Connecting Business Initiative
IICPSD aims to:
- Support the development of inclusive and competitive markets and inclusive business models that engage low income communities into value chains as producers, employees, consumers and entrepreneurs, with the end goal of economic development. IICPSD also aims to convene business and support actors to expand dialogue and create actionable partnerships in support of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Foster private sector engagement and advocacy with the UN system for achievement of the SDGs and other internationally agreed development goals.
- Become a centre of excellence for capacity development activities that harness trilateral development cooperation and south-south partnership, promote skill-building, access to enterprise-related finance, entrepreneurship and assistance to enabling actors.